Friday, May 22: Bears and the Air

First let me clear the air. I got the tv working. Though I am a bit amused that we’ve driven 3000 plus miles to spend 4 months visiting one of nature’s gifts, and the status of our tv reception is news.

Here’s some more information about Monday’s earthquake.

We’ve now been in the park for 4 days. We’re both signed in with our new employer though only Mary Ann has begun working. She is in a lead position at the marina front desk so her “season” began 2 weeks sooner than mine.

So far we’ve seen no snow and very little precipitation at all. The overnight temperatures have been in the low 30s, so certainly cold enough for snow. Last year when we came to Yellowstone we’d only been in our new south Florida home for a couple of months. This year we spent our entire “off season” in our new digs. When we lived in the Ocala area we experienced actual winter weather, with overnight temperatures in the 20s not uncommon and the occasional snow fall. In south Florida our coldest overnight was probably around 39 degrees. So the cool weather here in Yellowstone is now a shock to the system. We run the heat at night and actually use our electric blanket.

To celebrate our newly functional tv reception we decided to go out after dinner last night and do some sightseeing in the hopes of maybe spotting a bear. Within a reasonable driving distance we’ve learned of several key bear-spotting routes with one to the east and one to the north. It also doesn’t hurt that the eastern route takes us past one of the general stores, home to some awesome ice cream. The store was closed and we found no bears so we turned to the north.

Barely a mile to the north we spotted a small jam and assumed a bison was wandering near the road. The brown furry creature turned out to be a skinny grizzly looking for some nourishment maybe 150 feet from the road. The jam was small because we just don’t have many visitors here yet and the sun was starting to set. So we pulled off the road as far as we safely could, turned off the engine, and Mary Ann shot pictures. And, eventually, Braeten spotted (or smelled) the bear. And being every bit of 17 pounds and 9 months of age, she was ready to take on this somewhat larger interloper. She stood guard in the back seat growling and barking until we were more than a mile from the bear.

First bear of 2015

First bear of 2015

As we made our way back to the campground, Mary Ann’s keen eye detected a visual anomaly in the darkening sky. She asked if I’d seen the rainbow. No, I hadn’t. Well, it really wasn’t a rainbow… it was a colorful spot in the sky. I turned the truck around and went back to where she’d first seen it. Now, here’s the difference between a trained, experienced photographer who has spent years honing her craft, and me. She saw a rainbow. What I saw was akin to examining a postage stamp. Stuck to the top of the right field foul pole in Yankee Stadium. While seated behind home plate. She wanted to know did I see it. Oh, yes, I see it. Here’s the photo she took. You can click the photo to see an enlarged version. Look at the area between the 3 birds and the top of the mountain below them.

Rainbow without boundaries

Rainbow without boundaries

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Friday, May 22: Bears and the Air

  1. Maggie says:

    I think that is what is called a sun devil. Remember seeing it on one of the harbor cruises with the old Coulter Service group.
    Enjoying your blog as usual.